Thursday, July 30, 2009

Have you purchased and used a Lowepro Voyager C camera strap. What is it like and should I purchase one.?

The are 4 models of this camera strap and the Voyager C model appears to be the most comfortable to take my Nikon D200 camera. Would like to hear from anyone in the world that actually has used one, happy or not... Thanks a lot.

Have you purchased and used a Lowepro Voyager C camera strap. What is it like and should I purchase one.?
Whether you should purchase one I can't say, that's up to you.





However, I am using one and have been for a few months now and it just happens to also be supporting a D200. I use the camera constantly so it's had a hell of a lot of use over this period.





I disagree with the previous response, sure a leather strap is solid and won't drop your camera unexpectedly and a steel half inch chain would do an ever better job, but having perpetual sores around your neck from carrying several pounds of gear I do not believe is a mark of a professional either. If you're going to take outstanding pictures you need to be relaxed and comfortable. Causing yourself unnecessary pain and discomfort does not lead to good pictures.





Ok, what do I think of the strap? Comfort wise it's amazing. I sometimes carry five pounds around my neck for hours and come away from the experience without being sore.





Strength wise obviously it's not a leather strap but then I'm not carrying a hundred pounds either. I find the strap far stronger and more secure that it needs to be. I never consider that it might ever fail nor do I believe it can.





That said though, I also have two complaints albeit minor ones. I'd rather prefer the strap to be a bit longer. I find the camera rests on my chest and I generally prefer it lower down.





And it's not sticky enough. Once in a while I prefer to just hang the camera from my shoulder but when I do I find the strap likes to slip off unless I hold it in place with my hand. I would have preferred a finish on one side that would firmly glue itself to my clothes.





However, I've gotten used to the length and once in a while find it handy to have the camera on my chest when reviewing images while standing up and since I rarely carry the camera on my shoulder I've also gotten used to holding it in place.





Overall I'd say it's a nice design and worth the money.





I hope this helps a little.
Reply:I have been shooting Nikon's for over 35 years and the only straps I use are the wide leather ones that don't break. Comfortable is not part of the equation when I am on assignment.





My backpack weighs over 30 pounds when I am shooting. It has a Nikon F4, Nikon D100 (IR) and Nikon D200 with three lenses and two SB-600's as well as a battery charger, 18 GB of CF cards and other odds and ends, so you can see comfort is the last of my concerns.





The soft, breathable neoprene material reinforced with nylon webbing says amateur with too much money to me.





But what the heck. I have too many cameras and use them all.


No comments:

Post a Comment