Friday, May 21, 2010

What is the difference between using Matlab and C for the same application?

There is an application that is already developed using Matlab but to use distributed processing I converted to C and then used MPI routines. The first question that came to my mind is the difference between using Matlab and C.





Does C gives faster output than Matlab (do not consider distributed processing)? Why and under what situations can one prefer C over Matlab?

What is the difference between using Matlab and C for the same application?
I have heard that if you have a graphics application that requires fast updating of the screen, that C++ is better. But I have also heard that for many things, the libraries in MatLab are so well optimized that it is better. But I don't have any actual data comparing the two - this is just what I have read.





But you say you have the code for both - can you just try both and compare? Since it is likely to depend on the application, the best test is your own app.


No comments:

Post a Comment