Friday, May 21, 2010

What is the best configuration for my c:\ drive and start up programmes?

My current system (xp) has a c:\ of 20gb a f:\ of 120gb, and a g:\ of 120gb...i am going to upgrade the c:\ and fit a 80gb(maybe with 2x40gb partitions)


I want to keep the c:\ (with Windows on) as free as possible to cope with swap files etc (used to be slow, and had trouble keeping it free of space)


I run a few programmes that start up with Windows (AVG,Bit Comet etc) that used to take ages to start up, and worryingly AVG was the last to load, so had a few minutes of being live online without protection..(I have broadband by the way), so trying to work out the best and fastest way to load these onto my computer...


is it best to have all my start up programmes all together on one hard drive, so windows will load them at the same time





I have 700 mb of Ram left over (after my board has eaten some for Graphics etc), so hopefully with new swap file space will be faster...





any hints and tips would be very gratefully received





Michael

What is the best configuration for my c:\ drive and start up programmes?
Well, if it's a quick boot up you're looking for, it's not really your hard drive you have to worry about. Although, I suppose if you're looking for optimum speed, go for an ATA 10,000 rpm hard drive. That will increase your data transfer from your hard drives a bit. Then, go to "run" and type in msconfig, a box will pop up. Go to "startup" tab and uncheck all the unneeded programs. Since your computer will no longer boot up those programs, your startup will be noticeably faster.
Reply:I would say, to have you computer firewalled, should come standard with that system, xp, put it on a higher setting, i recommend this because windows is constantly comeing out with automatic updates that is most up to-date.





Or just use your G drive as the dominate drive


No comments:

Post a Comment